Sunday, June 28, 2009

the perfect present

So, as you can probably surmise by reading the dates on this blog, I have not been very consistent with making entries. This is largely due to two factors: first, and I believe any writer will relate to this, is my feeling a clear sense of purpose (or a lack there of) in posting here. I ask myself, Why am I writing this blog? I mean, I can see several themes as I look over my previous posts. This blog is -- and was initially started as -- a place of thinking things through, almost like therapy. But I also find myself wanting a place where I can record important events in my life, especially those that have to do with my role as wife, mother, etc .... At other times, I think it is nice just to have a place to share important advice, life lessons if you will, that I would like to leave for my posterity. Finally, I feel I'd like to use this blog as a place to think about and record spiritual insights, although I do that somewhat already in my gratitude journal ...

Then this past Mother's Day, May 2009, my DS, 22, gave me a most wonderful present, which is really funny, because I told him I didn't want a present per se. I had asked him for simply a letter or something, and he did oblige me by writing a most heartfelt epistle to me on his own blog.

But he also found me a gift at the bookstore. When he told me he had bought me a present in addition to writing the letter, I protested, to which he replied, "Mom, wait until you see this gift. It was so YOU, I just had to get it. I know you'll agree once I give it to you." Well, DS was right. He gave me a book entitled, List Yourself: Listmaking as the Way to Self-Discovery. And yes, this is probably one of the most appropriate gifts he could give me because I LOVE stuff like this! If I weren't a teacher, I would so be a librarian or work in a bookstore. I love reading biographies, autobiographies, histories, and anything that has to do with real life.

What my son did not know was that this book would provide a jumping off point for my blog! And the cool thing about these prompts is that the answers can go anywhere I want them to, fulfilling the multiple purposes I'd like to have with this blog. I am really excited to incorporate the prompts in the book into my postings here, and I invite anyone who would like to join with me to do so, perhaps on their own blog. I am greatly looking forward to this adventure!

3 comments:

Texas said...

Well other than making me sound like I am gay i.e. "Mom this is SO you" I really liked this and I am glad that I was able to help on your birthday. Love you mom

Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it

S said...

Anonymous -- well, thank you, I think. Not sure how to take "even when you are not interested in this topic," LOL. Hope the blog isn't too dull all the time ;-).