Sunday, December 26, 2010

Transition

I'm not sure I'm ready for this. Wait, that's not true. I AM ready for this, I'm just a little afraid of the change it will mean for us.

I have not been a stay-at-home mom for a long time, nearly 12 years. I think I've done this working-mom thing a little backward. Most women would probably choose to stay home when their kids were little, then work once their kiddies began leaving home. I began working/attending school when my youngest was in kindergarten. Now he is 18, a senior in high school, and I have been forced, by my health, to take a break from work.

But I'm not unhappy about it. I think it took my body screaming at me to do this because my silly stubborn brain wouldn't accept that it was okay for me to slow down, even necessary for me to do so. Everyone tells you, "Take care of yourself." Well, that is what I am doing. I am taking care of myself, because if I don't, I won't be any good to anyone. I know that.

Years ago, a wise friend said, "Make your home a haven for your husband." As a young bride, I must admit, I bristled a bit at that. I thought, "What about me? Why do I have to do all the work at home?" Now that I have been out in the working world, I realize and appreciate so much the diversity of our roles. I am looking forward to making our home a haven for both of us, and for our children.

Sheri Dew wrote, "We may not be the first generation of sisters to be influenced by the world, but we have got to be the last. We've just got to be the last. It is high time for us to arise and have the influence God intended us to have. It is high time for us to lead the women of the world. It is high time for us to model the distinctiveness and happiness that set true followers of Jesus Christ apart."

I don't know much about being a 'leader of the women of the world,' but I am happy to lead in my own little sphere, if leading means being true to our hearts and homes. I expect that will look different for different women. But for all of us, we can follow inspiration to know what is best for ourselves and our families. And that is what I am doing. The adventure begins ...

1 comment:

Mrs Ana said...

Thanks for sharing and allowing me the opportunity to learn from your experience!