Thursday, January 27, 2011

How I Feel

I think Bilbo Baggins said it best:

"I'm old ... I know I don't look it, but I'm beginning to feel it in my heart. I feel... thin. Sort of stretched, like... butter scraped over too much bread. I need a holiday. A very long holiday. And I don't expect I shall return. In fact I mean not to."
The Lord of the Rings

It is very difficult to know how to value myself at this time, especially when I've forgotten who my real self is. She's buried around here somewhere, and I'm sure, as I clean house, I WILL find her.

Marla Cilley, aka 'the Flylady' at flylady.net, says it took her 9 months to declutter her home. She said that nine months was like giving birth to a new person -- HER.

For today and the rest of this week ... and maybe, for now, that is enough ... one of my guides recently said to me, "I want you to remind yourself that it is not your responsibility 'to fix' other people's problems. We don't really fix anyone anyway. People fix themselves." A good reminder to trust myself and others, and not expend energy where I don't need to, that's for sure.

So, I will continue to work on getting myself better. What I'd like to expend my energy on is exercising, eating right, getting enough sleep, and getting into a routine. I find myself easily distracted and being forgetful, horrendously so! Yes, I do feel old.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The quote by Bilbo Baggins is such a great one. It came to my mind too recently. That whole feeling of being spread too thin had really impacted my desires. That rather than spread myself in more thinly, to instead savor, relish and indulge myself more.

Reading your blog I am so impressed by your candor. It is brave and inspiring. makes me want to see the truth of my life more clearly and share it more fearlessly. thank you for being so open and such a terrific, worldly writer. xoxo