Monday, April 23, 2012

Wise Words

Anxiety and depression have been a large part of my life, though for a long time, I didn't know it. I could recount numerous relatives who self-medicated, but I won't. That was their journey, their pain.

I thought when I moved from my family of origin, that those demons would be gone. Little did I know that these lovely little diseases are carried genetically, chemically, often passed around the family like a hot potato, willy nilly, afflicting those we love seemingly at random. I never quite understood it. "Come on, just exercise and eat right and be positive and it will all work out." Or, "Just snap out of it."

Now I understand. If there is anything having fibromyalgia has taught me, it is more compassion. Much more. And for that, I am very grateful.

A dear friend of mine who also suffers from these afflictions recently spoke at a congregational address. He alluded briefly and appropriately to his experience, and then proceeded to speak from his experience. I would like to share his words here, not verbatim, but I did take good notes :-).

First, we should remind ourselves we can figure 'this' out, and that ultimately, these afflictions (or any afflictions, for that matter) will be taken from us in the next life. But for now, some days, you just put one foot in front of the other, and realize that in doing so, you're doing just great.

Second, he reminded us to use 'faith promoting language' in our heads, in other words, in our self-talk. Instead of thinking of something as a disaster, we can look at it as a wonderful learning opportunity. If something seems a mess, we can instead view it as an opportunity to figure out a solution. Recognize that many things are just a bump in the road.

We need to empower ourselves. If we ask ourselves, "What's wrong with me?" well, the brain will tell us.

Look at things through the prism of faith. This is not to minimize the feelings and emotions we experience during affliction, but it is good to remember that those feelings and emotions are not everything there is.

No comments: